Thursday, June 17, 2010

One in the Same

Just saw this book on another mother of twins blog: One and the Same:
My Life as an Identical Twin and What I've Learned About Everyone's Struggle to Be Singular
 

I'm going to get a copy today. I really haven't read any book on twins, other than what to buy for multiples and ways to make things easier when you come home with multiples. Whether I had twins or not, I think this book would be very fascinating. Here's a review I just read on Amazon:

I expected this book to be interesting (and it fully met my expectations), but I couldn't foretell how often it would make my heart ache. Abigail doesn't hold back, courageously revealing the sometimes painful longing she has for more closeness with Robin, her twin, while also discussing the wonderful aspects of their relationship. Although it isn't surprising to learn the strength of emotional intensity in being an identical twin, some aspects of the relationship are a revelation. Abigail tells readers that she has a life partner in her sister, someone with whom she is compelled to share her deepest thoughts and whose opinions she treasures. But there's another side to the coin: Abigail takes on any emotional distress Robin shares with her and is devastated by any spat with her sister. She also is frank about her sorrow in a certain recent distancing in their relationship, one emanating from Robin.

I think I've avoided reading these books because I don't want to hear about any of the "difficult times" my girls might go through because they have a twin sister. But in reality I'm sure they won't have any more than the other singletons out there, theirs will just be different. I suggest all my close friends and family buy this book so we can all discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment